Mark your calendars for the sixth annual Tails to Trails on Saturday, May 16th, at 9 a.m on the Vasa Pathway. This four-paw 5K is a great opportunity to mingle with other dog lovers and enjoy a fun run or walk with your canine friend.
This annual event is a great way for both people and their dogs to get some exercise and have some fun. Valeri Dietz with Woofers on the Run, an event sponsor and advocate for raising healthy pets, explains, “Regular exercise is a must for dogs. It keeps them at a healthy weight, can decrease anxiety and other unwanted behaviors and most of all will help dogs lead a longer, happier life! Our community is so fortunate to have the beautiful TART Trail system to help us stay active & have fun with our dogs! So grab a leash and come join the fun as a way to say thank you, TART Trails!”
• Dogs will receive a goodie bag with treats and promotional dog items thanks to our longtime event sponsor, DOG Bakery, in downtown Traverse City
• A brand new feature this year includes local rescue dogs from the Cherryland Humane Society, AC PAW and Silver Muzzle Cottage who are available for adoption at the finish line cheering people in.
• Prizes for top finishing dogs and owners from D.O.G. Bakery, plus other great prizes from local pet friendly businesses will be given away.
• Dre Photography will be on hand donating their time to take photos that can be downloaded for free afterwards!
• All proceeds from Tails to Trails benefit TART Trails, Inc.
To register, visit traversetrails.org or stop by the TART Trails office at 148 E. Front St, 2nd Floor. Registration is only $15 for individuals and $30 for families through May 8th. May 9th through the morning of the event registration will be $20/$35. Day-of registration opens at 8 a.m. and the 5k fun run/walk starts at 9 a.m. Pets must be on a leash at all times and owners are responsible for picking up after their pets.
This is not a chip-timed event, but there will be a race clock, and prizes will be awarded to top finishers.
Many thanks to all event sponsors, including Northwood Animal Hospital, Bay Area Pet Hospital, Woofers on the Run, DOG Bakery, Pet Sitters Network North, Great Lakes Pet Memorial, Inhabitect Green Dog House.
To access the Vasa Pathway trailhead, take US-31 to Bunker Hill Rd, turn right on Bartlett and left into the trailhead parking area. Located in the Pere Marquette State Forest, the Vasa Pathway features a series of loops (3K, 5K, 10K, 25K) that offer walkers, runners, cross-country skiers and mountain bikers a variety of challenges from easy to difficult. TART Trails also grooms the trail for both skating and classic style skiing during the winter months.
Tagged: Tails to Trails